Yoga Teacher Training Forum

Welcome to The Yoga Teacher Training Forum Archive - A Collection of Various Yoga Topics

The Forum is Now Closed and Will Remain as an Information Archive.

For New Updates and Conversations, We Now Have a Public Facebook Group Located Here

A A A

Please consider registering

Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
sp_Feed sp_TopicIcon
Samadhi
This topic is locked
ashmin

Forum Posts: 98
sp_UserOfflineSmall Offline
February 10, 2011 - 10:27 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Samadhi is a spiritual state of awareness. There are many kinds of samadhi. Among the lesser samadhis, savikalpa samadhi happens to be the highest. Beyond savikalpa comes nirvikalpa samadhi, but there is a great difference between them. Also there is another state of samadhi beyond nirvikalpa samadhi, which is called sahaja samadhi.

In savikalpa samadhi, you lose consciousness for short periods of time (30 minutes to two hours). In this state of mind the concept of time and space is much different. You can look into the potential future with an optimistic mindset and see, smell, and hear the potential outcome of your life. From savikalpa samadhi, we must return back to this reality.

yoga

Forum Posts: 42
February 18, 2011 - 1:03 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Yoga is not a linear learning system. It is a philosophy that resembles a spiral stair case. Dharana, dhyana, and samadhi show us the path to samyama and prajna. Rather than focus on types of samadhi and ranking them we should practice dharana, dhyana, and samadhi equally.

laparadis

Forum Posts: 146
February 12, 2011 - 5:01 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Namaskar Ashmin,

I read that Samadhi is a state of meditative absorption, salvation, bliss, etc. I meditate and find it extremely rewarding. A trained mind has changed my life for the better. Although I have taken many Yoga teacher training courses face-to-face and online, I can't wrap my head around any form of Samadhi. Would you say a long apprenticeship with my guru is needed? He says yes, but I am many thousands of miles away.

Thank you and Aum Shanti,

Laparadis

jindi

Forum Posts: 28
February 12, 2011 - 8:23 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dear Laparadis,

Namaskar!

Of course your guru says "yes," but this is a time when you may have already touched the gateway to samadhi and didn't know it. You have been meditating. For how long? Does this sound familiar?

A feeling of bliss where you experienced no attachment to your thoughts during meditation. You may have thoughts that pass through your mind, but there is no holding onto attachment involved, no clinging, no wanting or no real desire for outcome. A feeling of freedom, and unlimited possiblities. A realization that your mind's thought vibration has the ability to create and transcend. Your consciousness has seen your true life purpose. Your destiny has become obvious. You feel a natural connection to everything and everyone around you.

If you have never experienced any of this, then you have not been to the gateway of samadhi. Maybe you should visit your guru or study under a local guru who is "qualified." Qualified is a tricky word. Finding spiritual qualification is like chasing a shadow. Rather than search for so called "mystics," you are better off to keep in touch with this study group.

If you have experienced some of this, then you should still work with your daily practice and notice how it blossoms. Again, you should visit this study group because I have a feeling this is going somewhere. Describing samadhi is more difficult than describing the taste of palak paneer. Meditate and explore my friend.

Hari Om Tat Sat,

Jindi

Gator

Forum Posts: 77
February 13, 2011 - 6:26 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Namaskar Jindi,

Wow! Thank you for an easy to understand explanation of states of Samadhi. I'm not as serious a meditator as I should be. I've talked to Paul many times in person and by phone. What you just wrote is a deep reminder and confirmation of past conversations with him. Yoga teachers should be engaged in self discovery instead of playing follow the leader.

This Sutra forum is really exciting because it enables all of us to shoot ideas in an instant. I've needed a deep introduction to Patanjali's works for a long time.

Thank you so much!

Yoga Paul

Forum Posts: 138
February 13, 2011 - 11:34 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Dear Friends,

Namaskar!

This is an interesting conversation and I want to thank all of you for your participation. Here is is suggestion for anyone who is not familiar with the Yoga Sutras and is reading this thread for the first time.

Read Samadhi Pada, which is the first chapter. Take your time and reflect on each sutra. You likely have to read them more than once. To be honest, they were designed for repetition. Take a pen and paper to classify the Samadhis and their differences.

OM Shanti,

Paul

lina

Forum Posts: 34
February 15, 2011 - 3:24 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thanks to all of you for making a mystery a little more clear to me. It like light at the end of a winding tunnel.

ashmin

Forum Posts: 98
September 8, 2011 - 4:20 pm
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Immersion in States of Samadhi

Samadhi is a Sanskrit word that is translated as the ecstasy or bliss of oneness with God, the universe, or a Supreme entity. A dedicated Yoga practitioner experiences various states and grades of samadhi along the spiritual path. Samadhi is the eighth and final limb of Patanjali's eight limb path of Raja Yoga as delineated in his Yoga Sutras. The experience of samadhi is supremely restful and filled with the bliss of the divine. Samadhi is experienced as a vibrantly awake, non-dualistic state of consciousness in which the seer and the seen become one. According to the Rig Vedas and the Upanishads of ancient India, there are various levels and grades of the experience of samadhi. In Patanjali's Yoga Sutras, there are four main levels of samadhi.

Savikalpa Samadhi

The first state of Samadhi is known as Savikalpa Samadhi. In this initial state of samadhi, a Yoga practitioner is supremely awake and aware of the vibrating essence of divinity in and around him or herself. The Yogi or Yogini will be resting in the clear light of inner awareness and be undisturbed by thoughts or occurrences in the internal and external worlds. Some spiritual aspirants have a difficult time being grounded and functioning in this world when they reach this level of samadhi.

Asamprajnata Samadhi

Asamprajnata Samadhi is a deepening of the Savikalpa level of samadhi. In Asamprajnata Samadhi, a spiritual seeker will become even more immersed in the internal experience of the construction of the universe and the pulsating bliss of God's love. In this state of samadhi, a Yogi or Yogini may find it even more difficult to operate in the ordinary world and may retreat to do intensive spiritual practices for a time.

Nirvikalpa Samadhi

The next level of samadhi is known as Nirvikalpa Samadhi. In this state of samadhi, there is only an infinite consciousness of bliss with no form or structure. This is the state that Buddhists refer to as the clear light of bliss. In this powerful state of samadhi, a spiritual seeker loses all sense of personal identity and becomes merged into the divine, transcendental awareness of the divine. For most Yogic practitioners who reach the state of Nrvikalpa Samadhi, it is impossible to function in the world, and the spiritual aspirant must retreat for a time to a secluded and protected cave, forest or monastery to stabilize and integrate his or her experience of Nirvikalpa Samadhi.

Sahaja Samadhi

The fourth and highest level of samadhi is known as Sahaja Samadhi. In the highest state of Sahaja Samadhi, a Yogi or Yogini is able to remain immersed in the profound bliss and wisdom of Nirvikalpa Samadhi, while simultaneously functioning beautifully in this world on a daily basis. Attaining the level of Sahaja Samadhi is extremely rare.

Over the centuries, there have been a number of spiritual teachers who have attained the highest state samadhi and offered to publicly awaken and guide spiritual seekers. Some of these teachers are the Buddha, Jesus, Yogananda, Ramana Maharshi and Gurumayi, to name only a handful. Spending time with these living masters was nothing short of miraculous for a devoted spiritual seeker.

laparadis

Forum Posts: 146
August 8, 2014 - 11:10 am
sp_Permalink sp_Print

Thank you Jindi for your post. This has been helpful. I have spent some time pondering the aspects of this thread and have found that many solutions can be found within. Yet, I have observed that few people practically apply the solutions they discover in their daily lives.

This topic is locked
Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: 340

Currently Online:
10 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Members Birthdays
sp_BirthdayIcon
Today: None
Upcoming: Satyarthi

Top Posters: