Yoga Teacher Training Forum
Yoga Instructors: Would you like to network with fellow teachers worldwide? Here is a resource to find answers for every possible question regarding continuing education, improving your classes, student safety and much more.
August 13, 2014
General Safety Guidelines for Kids Yoga Class: Getting your children acquainted with yoga at an early age can lay foundation of a healthy lifestyle. The frequent performance of poses, breathing patterns and meditation not only help in making their lifestyle healthier but also help in providing mental, physical and emotional balance. While coaching children teachers are required to be 50 times more vigilant than that of adult.
Children cannot follow the same routine as that of an adult; they can never hold poses for longer period of time. They are not pro so for an instructor there is no need to be picky with them in capabilities. Children are always retaliating hence asking them to follow directions is the most difficult task that is the reason as to why patience shall always be the number one priority for teachers while teaching these young yogis.
Yoga indeed is the healthiest and convenient physical activity but it is very complicated to follow especially for children if a posture goes wrong it can lead to a sprain or serious bone injury. So while working with children an instructor should follow certain guidelines to keep the environment safe, fun and cordial all at the same time. Some of the guidelines are as follows,
- The first and foremost thing that is needed to be taken care is clothing. There shall be no tutu, skirts or any accessory, because they might cause hindrance for children while performing poses.
- Children always lose focus so before the class starts make sure children have already gone to washroom and have some fluid intake.
- To make the class less boring and fun filled, an instructor should incorporate stories and games with in the duration of poses.
- If there are children that cause disturbance or harm to other fellow practitioners he/she may be asked to leave the class gently. However before taking this drastic step the instructor should first try and talk to the kid but if they do not budge then the instructor may get in touch with the kid’s guardian. If that does not even help then the only option is to ask the kid to leave the class.
- The yoga teacher should always make sure that before starting the routine, all the children in class perform warm up exercises to get their muscles in motion in order to avoid serious injuries.
- Yoga is about building self-esteem so the teacher needs to stay constructive and always encourage students in class.
- A competent instructor will never exert pressure on his/her students. Before conducting the class, teacher should advise student to listen to their own bones and muscles and to never rush for an asana.
Teaching yoga to kids is a very difficult task, only a good and competent instructor will be able to get pass this challenge because it does not only require strength and passion for teaching or for performing asana but also want a great deal of practice to handle kids. Perfection and patience is the key to teach yoga to kids while providing them safe, healthy and fun filled environment.
The following users say thank you to Ishrattasleem for this useful post:Jennifer
Most Users Ever Online: 178
Currently Browsing this Page:
Yoga Paul: 138
Don Briskin: 69
Guest Posters: 39