Yoga Teacher Training Forum
Yoga Instructors: Would you like to network with fellow teachers worldwide? Here is a resource to find answers for every possible question regarding continuing education, improving your classes, student safety and much more.
April 27, 2015
It is amazing how this forum has become a Mecca for yoga teachers looking to help students, friends, and family with specific health conditions. The following is about Ayurvedic solutions for diabetes, but please feel free to add asana prescriptions and yogic solutions.
Ayurveds for diabetes: The problem of diabetes is referred as the silent killer disease. It is rated among fifth main cause of death and contributes in developing other health related complications like blindness, cardiac issue, kidney failure and blood pressure. According to an estimate there are around 200 million diabetic patients worldwide and the numbers are increasing yearly.
Diabetic disorder occurs when our body is not capable of utilizing glucose properly due to insufficient amount of insulin produced by pancreas that results in high blood and urine glucose level. The conventional method of diabetic treatment is usage of synthetic drugs which endow lots of side effects therefore nowadays diabetic patients are in search of safe, effective and natural alternative medicinal treatment.
The ancient medicinal practice of Ayurvedic system is suggested as the best safe, natural and effective treatment for curing diabetes. This system is practiced in Asia since decades; the word ayurveda is originated from two words Ayu means life and Veda means knowledge so basically it is regarded as the science of life. Ayurvedic practice beliefs in essential factors of human body that control all functions and physical structure, doshas. Different health problems are causes due to disparity of these doshas. According to the system, initial step of treating diseases is to view or find out imbalance in doshas. These doshas are named as Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Vata administers movements; Pitta is associated with functions of energy production and metabolism whereas Kapha governs fluid balance in body and physical structure.
Ayurvedic method of treatment for diabetes mainly focus on restoring balance of specific dosha by following a combination of procedures that include detoxification of body by cleansing, nourishing and tonification through diet plans and balancing by performing regular physical workout like yoga. For diabetic patients treatment of Panchakarma is recommended by which doshas are first cleansed or detoxified followed by herbal oil massage (Snehana) and steam or sauna therapy (Svedana). The therapies are helpful in removing toxins from doshas after that the treatment includes use of diet plans or herbal foods as medication.
The basic principle of Ayurvedic system stated that the food we eat has qualities related with six tastes and their associated energy other than calories, protein, vitamins, fat and minerals. The unhealthy or irregular eating habits increase level of fat and phlegm in body which destroy beta cells in pancreas responsible for producing insulin. The herbal medication grant powerful effect on body, some of the useful herbs that are recommended by Ayurvedic practitioners for managing diabetes as they are effective and relatively non toxic like other synthetic drugs are as follows:
- Cinnamon, adding 1tsp of cinnamon powder in daily diet is good for reducing glucose level in blood as it contains properties like insulin.
- Indian Kino is also helpful in reducing absorption of glucose, improving insulin level and generating beta cells.
- Genera Sylvestra, also known as sugar destroyer. Dried leaves are pounded with coriander fruit to extract juice. The juice is taken orally, helps for improving insulin capability and reduces blood sugar level.
- Fenugreek seeds are enriched in fiber and help to lower blood sugar level.
- Blueberry, studies reported that leaves of this berry contain an active ingredient which has ability to eradicate excess sugar present in blood.
- Turmeric and gooseberry are also very effectual herbs for treating diabetes, as per stated in Ayurvedic books.
- Bitter gourd, neem and curry leaves juice are also used in medication for reducing glucose level.
March 21, 2012
Ironically, I have been looking for this post for weeks. In my recovery form a major knee injury, I have increased my Yoga practice at work. One of my co-workers expressed his interest in Yoga after watching me. He is a type 1 diabetic and has an insulin pump that he uses to regulate it. It is not uncommon for him to take time off work because of it. Long story short, I have been trying to include him in my "office chair Yoga" and creating a special Yoga practice just for him. Good mental work as well to prepare me for my certification test. Thank you for having this information present.
April 27, 2015
Best yoga exercises for diabetes: According to statistics the number of people affected by diabetes is increasing day by day. This health condition hampers growth pattern of human body by disturbing levels of energy production in particular diabetes boast sever effect on the functioning of pancreas.
The worst part of having this disease is that it influences that production of insulin which plays a major role in utilizing and controlling glucose level in blood. It is a tough task for a patient to manage sugar level as it need lots of patience and self control. The first and the foremost thing a diabetic should adapt and well thought-out is healthy eating habits. A well balanced, natural and pure diet helps to manage glucose level along with regular exercising routine.
As reported in several studies and researches yoga therapy is extremely beneficial for people suffering from diabetes. Regular practice of yoga exercises helps a lot in controlling level of sugar in blood, lowering blood pressure, keeping check on weight, decreasing progression of this disease and other complications related to diabetes. According to health experts the main reason behind this health condition is stress, during stressful situation secretion of glucogen, a hormone responsible for increasing glucose level in blood is produced to a great extent.
Practicing different techniques of yoga such as asanas, paranayama breathing and meditation are supportive in reducing levels of stress, protect body from adverse effects of stress, decrease amount of glucogen and boost up insulin activity. Following are some yoga exercises that stimulate organs responsible for improving metabolic process, proper production of insulin and utilization of glucose in body.
- Sun Salutation or Surya Namaskar: The posture is good for diabetic patients, practicing it for at least 15 minutes in early morning can truly help them to combat with this disease.
- Tree Pose: This is an easiest posture that helps to control diabetes effectively. It invigorates complete body, activate digestive system and rebalance blood circulation.
- Double Leg Pose: This pose is said to be most effective for diabetic sufferer as it tones pancreas and enhances its ability for producing required amount of insulin.
- Setubandasana: The posture helps to maintain blood pressure, improves digestion, relaxes mind and cure complications related to this health issue.
- Vrksasana: It is a key yoga posture that helps in stimulating pancreatic hormonal secretion.
- Dhanurasana: The pose is also known as bow pose, it supports to improve functioning of intestine and pancreas. Bow pose also aids in managing glucose level in blood, regular practice of this asana activate functions of organs that produce enzymes useful for body.
- Hal asana or Plough Pose: Practice of this pose helps in stimulating pancreas, spleen and intestine also activates body immune system by massaging all vital organs. Plough pose improves function of kidneys and liver, rejuvenates mind and strengthen abdominal muscles.
- Ardha Matsyendrasana: The pose is also known as half twisted pose, this helps in massaging kidneys, pancreas, gall bladder, liver and intestine. It is best for diabetic patient because this asana mainly focus on pancreatic functioning, stimulating digestive process and squeezing out toxins.
- Kapalbhati Breathing: This energetic and powerful paranayama technique with movement of stomach helps to activate pancreas and is best exercise for managing diabetes.
Most Users Ever Online: 79
Currently Browsing this Page:
Yoga Paul: 138
Don Briskin: 69
Guest Posters: 29